Wednesday, September 25, 2013

PRIVATE CHEFS COME TO THE HOUSE

How cool would it be to have private chefs come to your home prepare a menu on-site that was pre-approved by you? Then you got to watch up close as they went through all the insider techniques?   Well, pretty cool in my book.  And that is just what I got to do on a recent evening …

The genesis of this terrific evening was hosting at my home the semi-annual Members’ Only Dinner for my wonderful friends and colleagues in the Organization of Women Executives.  I have been a member of this group since 2005 (and proudly a past president).   Throughout the year we have impressive speakers, special events like an evening at the Los Angeles Opera, our annual Spa Weekend, and this dinner in the spring and the fall.

I was delighted to provide my backyard as the setting for the fall dinner.  Once I knew this was happening, my first thought was the food!  Last year, I engaged Boneyard Bistro to cater the event with their fabulous BBQ and I must say it was a big hit with the women.  But what to do this year …


Engaging a private chef is something I've always wanted to do.  But how does one go about that?  Referrals?  The Yellow Pages??  Well, I did something I usually don’t do (but I know many others do) – I went on Yelp!   And lo and behold, there were listings for quite a few private chefs.    After doing a few background checks, I started at the top of the list not knowing whether this path would even be in our budget for the event.  One chef had great credentials and, if his PR was accurate, he was kind of a big deal.  I would have hired him solely on how quickly he responded to my email (IMMEDIATELY), but his schedule didn’t work with our date.  I asked him if he were to clone himself, who he would recommend (he said there isn’t another like him!).  He then told me that a friend of his had started a new website called Kitchit, where you can shop for a personal chef based on different criteria … and that is how I found Chef Joey Giorgianni, his partner/co-chef Lori Hill and Haute Food LA.



Transforming this ... 
Into this ...





As luck would have it, we were blessed with a beautiful autumn evening for dining outdoors.  Joey suggested a lot of menu options, but the one that seemed most fitting for the event was a "California Grill" menu.

  
Hard at work with an assist from Cookie

Lots of interesting and fresh ingredients were incorporated; Joey told me things might change a bit as the date approached depending on seasonal choices available.     And here is the menu that was served:






Southern California Grilled Tacos .. with Grilled Cod, Charred Shrimp and/or Rare Cassis Flank Steak  ~~ Handmade Guacamole ~~ Housemade Creme Fraiche (cilantro optional) ~~ Tequila Lime Salsa ~~ Serrano Mango Chutney ~~ Cilantro Lime Rice 




















Side Dishes ..  Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa & Spices ~~ Roasted Vegetables ~~ Kale & Orange Salad 









Desserts .. Valhrona Chocolate Mousse Tart  ~~ Lemon Tart garnished with Fresh Blueberries  ~~ Seasonal Bread Pudding with Raspberry Coulis











Lori & Joey 













From the feedback received, the evening was a success!  All it takes is ample room, lots of chairs, tables and cloths of varying sizes (collected and stored over the years), delicious food, cooperation from the weather Gods, and an amazing group of 40 friends.  



And here's my insider tip for pretty, long-lasting and inexpensive centerpieces:
Buy multiple small orchids (from Trader Joe's) and place them inside a square or round glass container.   I take the orchids out of the plastic pot and put them inside the glass container, then fill in completely with the bark. Voila!   To water, simply put a few ice cubes each week right at the base of the plant. They will get plenty of moisture ... when they are finished flowering, repot in the individual plastic containers.  Too Martha Stewart?  Honestly, I have no more time on my hands than anybody else, but to me this is a lot of fun!






















No comments:

Post a Comment