Tuesday, February 25, 2014

TO SHARE OR NOT TO SHARE? THAT IS THE QUESTION ...

At what point does sharing about your travels morph into bragging?  I mean, if your intentions are truly such that you want to share with others the joys of a gorgeous venue or delights of a superb meal so that they too might partake, does that constitute boorish behavior?   I think not … but then again  ...


Can anyone remember back to a pre-Facebook time where we shared our travels?  I guarantee it was to a much smaller audience.  My travels were initially recounted to my mom via email with attached photos (she traveled vicariously with me), who then forwarded everything to the family. That then became a Shutterfly website where I invited people to share in the trip, which then a couple of years ago became this blog. I still use Shutterfly to do my photo b books after every major trip, and it is easy and great. How did anyone share before Facebook, Tumblr and all the other social media sites? Maybe, just maybe, sharing about one's travels is now considered bragging by some because it is so public.




Mark Schatzker, a freelance writer and frequent contributor to Conde Nast Traveler, wrote about his own ideas in an article last fall.  His comments are below followed by my thoughts.  What are yours?  




  • DON’T tweet about fabulous meals. Ever. Not even if René Redzepi himself breaks into the Abruzzi villa you rented to serve you a white truffle omelet in bed made with eggs he laid himself. It sounds like you’re bragging. Because you are.
Rene Redzepi is the owner/chef of Noma in Copenhagen, consistently ranked as one of world's top restaurants.  If he comes to cook for me, I'm going to write about it.  But I don't tweet. 
  • DON’T make it about you. For example, if you somehow score a tour of a Bordeaux winery that hasn’t opened its cellars to the public since the days of the Holy Roman Empire, do not begin your tweet/Facebook post with "OMG, I just…"
If I've ever used "OMG" in my blog, it is hereby withdrawn -- so I totally agree.  But I would write about this experience but from the standpoint of the unique wines either seen or tasted.
  • DO make it about people. If, during said tour, the head winemaker mentions that Robert Parker got it wrong and the best vintage is, in fact, 1984, by all means, share this pertinent and interesting tidbit.
Some of the best memories are always about new acquaintances and encounters.  Tour guides rate special mention and I always includes photos of them and send them the blog in which they are featured.
  • DON’T go big-game hunting. If you find yourself sending out the social media equivalent of a press release as you knock off your top-25 list of Asia’s most exclusive restaurants, boutiques, and galleries, ask yourself: Do I travel because I yearn for a deeper understanding of the human condition? Or am I just trying to impress my friends?
I agree on this.   Even if that happens to be part of my activities, I wouldn't share that.  I recently talked about going into every store on Madison Avenue but never revealed about any purchases ... because there weren't any!  And I wouldn't say if there were.  That is where I draw the line  ... and because the hubby might not know about it.  


Never have something coming out of a head!
  • DON’T post mediocre photos. Are you interested in seeing other people’s average vacation snaps? They’re not interested in yours.





AMEN to that!! Even if you want to share, don't give in to temptation when the takeaway will only be that you're a mediocre photographer.  Check out some great tips for digital photography here ...


  • DO post great photos. A stunning image can pierce the wall of bitterness, resentment, hostility, and envy that stands between you and your non-traveling friends back home and can genuinely convey the wonder of travel. Great photography conquers all. You might even be inspired to host a slide show.
DITTO to that one ... except the part about the slide show.   

About getting that great photo to share, be careful!  I was so fixated on getting a particular photo at a museum in Amsterdam that I missed the last step on a flight of stairs and ended up limping through the rest of the trip... 

My thoughts on sharing are these:   I feel enormously grateful to have the opportunity to see the world.  I want to share that with others ... I love that there are those who find my travels interesting enough to continue reading this blog so I promise to continue finding worthwhile content to share! Forthwith, three favorite photos from pre-blog travel ...


Bruges, Belgium 2009

Featherdale Animal Park, Sydney 2010

Endless Tulips at Keukenhof Gardens, outside Amsterdam 2009


4 comments:

  1. Just for the record. I love reading about all my friend's travels on Facebook. I never think of their posts as bragging and jealousy never rears its ugly head. So to all those love to travel I say, "keep on sharing" !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Deb .. but I do appreciate when the "poster" of the pics uses some discretion in either the quantity or the quality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew Deb would comment! Agree- I enjoying sharing in my friend's travel experiences. I love graduation pictures too. I draw the line at "grown-ups" in bikinis. That's where jealousy rears its head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sadly, my world-travel photos are all in a box in the basement, along with the 3-years worth of letters!

    ReplyDelete