Monday, November 13, 2017

A LOCAL GEM

Do you ever pass by somewhere in your town and think, "I can't remember the last time I was here."  I do.  But do I actually act on it?  

When given the opportunity to visit the Norton Simon Museum, located in Pasadena just 20 minutes or so from my home, I signed up -- especially with a private tour and docent arranged through my executive women's group.  Immediately upon arriving I asked myself  "Why has it been so long in between visits?  I love this place!" 

Vincent Van Gogh self portrait
The museum became known as the Norton Simon in 1975 but its origins -- through various iterations -- actually date back to the 1920's.  What I particularly love about the structure is that it is so "manageable."  One doesn't get that feeling of being completely overwhelmed when visiting so many other museums.  You know the feeling:  you don't want to miss anything and you can't really figure out how to tackle it.  Frankly I was stunned to read the museum's square footage is 85,000, for it seems smaller to me.  I suppose with a collection spanning more than 12,000 pieces, a significant space is required.  But the beauty of this museum is it's intimate feeling.  To get a sense of proportion, can you guess the size of the Metropolitan Museum in NYC?  How about 2,000,000 square feet?  That's one heck of a space ..

Above, "Assembly of Sea Forms" in white marble by Barbara Hepworth

Left, "Tall Figure IV" by Alberto Giacometti stands 9-10'; 
With dear friends and fellow members of the Organization of Women Executives. The museum outing was part of our Culture Group.  I chair our Foodies Group (no surprise there).

On this beautiful fall day, the sculpture garden was an absolutely ideal setting.   With magnificent pieces by Henry Moore, Rodin and Maillol, one could really get lost in thought while strolling around the Lilly Pond stocked with ducks.  So peaceful.  

Aristede Maillol's "Mountain"
The magnificent pond
Henri Laurens' "Les Ondines" 

Rather than hearing from me, go and then go back again.  I plan to and soon.  This spot is truly a gem in LA's busy metropolis.  

The museum is open daily except Tuesdays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment