Monday, January 29, 2018

REMEMBER WHEN??

Early 2018 was the perfect time to clean up old files (cue: New Year's Resolution #3).  Upon doing so, I soon I discovered all my records from our first big trip in this century:  Italy - Spring 2001.

What it took then versus how I plan now might as well be from a different universe.  And yet some things never change ... like my obsession with whatever shopping might be available!  Italy was still on the lire way back then (oh, the days), and everything was at least 40% less than in the US.  I found catalog tear-out sheets in my folder which I brought on the trip so I could compare the cost of items I wanted to find when I got to Rome or Milan.  

The iconic Via Condotti with the Spanish Steps in the background. 
The reality: we arrived in Rome, had lunch, checked into the hotel, the hubby took a nap and I went out and bought five handbags.  That was the end of my "alone time" for the remaining three weeks.  But, oh, how much fun I had!


How about the above for a fun walk down memory lane.  That is a copy of the VCR "taping schedule" for the three weeks we were gone. There was no On-Demand or DVR in those days, so if you didn't get the recording you were out of luck.  I think there was a performance bonus offered as well ... of course, I'm sure son Sam (age 12 at that time) was in charge so we likely got all the shows. 

Other fun memories:  printed, multiple-part airline tickets that arrived in the mail!  I loved looking at all those codes and wondering what they meant.  But when I think back to things like seat assignments and how neurotic I have become about where I sit (www.seatguru.com is one of my very favorite websites), it's hard to imagine going in "blind."  Well, we didn't know what we didn't know; right?  

we all lament the trials and tribulations of travel today.  When you are having an "experience," I suggest you (and I!) remember when ... and appreciate how streamlined and easy the process has become.




No comments:

Post a Comment